Nineteenth century Bengali Renaissance brought a sense of
awakening, an urge to unshackle the old and retrograde,
a thrust to bring new wave of modern culture and education
among Bengalis. Joykrishna and brother Rajkrishna understood
the significance of modern education, specially the important
place of English language as a harbinger of modern outlook.
Main entrance - Government High School
Towards the end of 1845, Joykrishna and Raj Krishna wrote
an application to the then Magistrate of Howrah Mr. G.F.
Cockburn for the opening of a good school in Uttarpara.
The nearest Govt school was in Howrah - at least six miles
north of Uttarpara. Joykrishna appealed that this distance
is too long for residents of Uttarpara and an English
school should be set up within easy reach of Uttarpara
In their application they also promised to pay Rs. 100/- per
month from their landed property to the school. Moreover, they
also assured the Govt. that if the Govt. would accept the
proposal for the school, the people of this locality would
provide financial support (Rs. 5000/-) to the school. Strongly
recommending the proposal of the Mukherjees, Mr. Cockburn
forwarded the application to the then Secretary of the
Judicial Department Mr. F.J. Halliday who finally approved
The majestic Old Building - Over 150 years old
The school building is at the intersection
of Bally canal and Hooghly river
As a result of this initiatives, the school at Uttarpara (Ooterparah School)
was opened in March, 1846. It was housed in a few scattered hutments near
Bally Khal originally meant to accommodate workers of Bally Tension Bridge.
The first headmaster of the school was Mr. Robert Hand. Mr. Hand had only
one deputy - assistant master Mr. C. Grant. The school had an initial
enrolment of 167 students.
Eminent educationists like Ramtanu Lahiri, Banmali Mitra
(classmate of Michael Madhusudan Datta), Kali Prasanna Bose
were some of the past headmasters of this school. Today
Uttarpara Govt School is a premier school in West Bengal,
among its best. Its students have regularly occupied top
ranks in Secondary and Higher Secondary examinations.
The school recently celebrated its 150th year. For more
information - please visit
Website of Ex-Students' Association
The new building